Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Purpose of Life in a Pandemic

Well, it's been a long time since I've written anything here, and a lot has happened since then.  I have moved to a new job: Assistant Professor at Iowa State University. But more recently, the big COVID-19 pandemic has hit the world, and while there is now hope of vaccination, it's going to be awhile before I get one. 

So, I sit here, somewhat bored on a Saturday afternoon, somewhat down because of the stress of the pandemic and being cooped up in my house nearly ALL THE TIME.  I texted my nemesis, the host of Background Dominated (I honestly don't know what possessed me to do this), out of a sense of lonely desperation for human interaction, and what does he ask me? "What's the meaning and purpose of life?" -- that's what he asked me.  Why, oh why does he ask me these questions!? Like I care about that right now! Grr...

But then I realized something.  Maybe he has a point in asking me this at this time.  I am sitting here in my comfy house with a pretty secure job that I love, and I am complaining!??!  There are real people suffering in the world right now, and all I can do is think about how bored I am. 

Well, I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way, and so if you also have felt this way, don't feel bad.  It's only human nature.  However, it does put things into perspective and also made me realize that maybe I have some sort of answer to Dr. Wik's seemingly-asinine-at-first question: to help other people.  That's the purpose of life -- to help our fellow humans.  And during these difficult times, there is no shortage of people who are suffering and need the help of those of us who are more privileged.  

So, what can I do?  Well, the first thing I think I am going to do is to stop complaining.  Or rather, I can complain, but I can also put those complaints in perspective.  The other thing I can do is to actually reach out to family and friends, particularly those who may be in a tough spot for any reason and I can offer them my help.  That help can be a shoulder to cry on or the promise of a video call.  Or it can even be a handwritten letter (for you young people, yes, we used to write letters by hand and send them in the mail). And finally, I can look to reaching out to strangers to help in anyway that I can.  Maybe I can donate money, food, or even time to those who need it most.  I am not yet sure the best way to go about this last option, but I think I am going to get up off my couch and go for it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment